And just like that, week seven is over! What a week this multicultural week was, starting with Israel Day and ending with our much anticipated community Shabbat. Filled with adventures, exploration, athletics, and laughter, here are some highlights:
Israel Day! We went on an archaeological dig, wrote notes for the Kotel, made our own Israeli flags, danced Israeli folk dances, sang lots and lots of Israeli songs, and gobbled up yummy Israeli chocolates.
Sports! Our friends at First Touch Soccer hosted an awesome clinic and we practiced our soccer moves. We also enjoyed our usual mix of such favorites as basketball, gaga, kickboxing, and swim, swim, swim!
Discovery! Exploding Milk Experiment! Ask our campers and they will eagerly tell you all about our colorful (yet super safe!) science experiment
Art! Exploring a theme of multiculturalism, we made everything from Chinese paper lanterns to Mexican suns.
We enjoying celebrating our final community Shabbat of the summer with campers, families and friends this week as well. Shabbat shalom!
Athletic, bubbly, and full of both enthusiasm and genuine kindness, Haifa Hawks counselors Makhel and Gilly are our feature faces this week.
Here are a few fun facts to learn about our beloved Hawks:
Congratulations are in order for these recent high school grads and rising college freshmen! Makhel will begin studying child psychology at SUNY Plattsburgh and Gilly will begin actuarial studies at Queens College
No wonder our campers love playing sports with these two! Makhel spent the last three years teaching at a basketball camp and Gilly ran Varsity Track in high school. She will be running for Queens College and Makhel will be playing basketball at Plattsburgh.
Ask these two about a favorite Camp Pinebrook memory and you’ll join in their laughter as they describe the hilarious moment an unnamed Haifa Hawk asked in desperation for help removing the fudge from his fudgsicle.
Should the opportunity ever arise for dinner with a musician, Makhel would love to dine on steak and mashed potatoes with Michael Jackson while Gilly would choose Thai food with David Bowie.
Week Six has flown by! With our Camp Pinebrook core value of encouragement and a theme of “heroes,” here are some exciting highlights from our fun-filled week!
- We met real heroes — members of the New Rochelle Fire Department! Local firefighters visited and showed off their truck and equipment, and they patiently answered all of our questions about fire safety.
- In Art we worked on portraits of our favorite heroes (our parents!!) and also created shabbat candlesticks that our families can use and enjoy every week at home.
- In Sports, we started learning how to play badminton and continued our usual favorites of soccer, gaga, and, of course, swim!!
- In Discovery, we were thrilled to see that several of the monarch butterflies emerged from their chrysalises and are sipping fruits and pumping their wings. We will release them this afternoon and wish them well as they fly off into nature.
- In Cooking, we had a green theme and made turtles out of kiwis and green grapes, guacamole (which everyone enjoyed with without chips!), and yummy smoothies!